Chagpori - Lhasa
Adjacent to the Potala palace and named after the hill on which
it was built, Chagpori was
the first college of Tibetan medicine in Tibet.
It was founded in 1696 in accordance with the wish of the fifth
Dalai Lama by his first minister Desi Sangye Gyatso who also wrote
important commentaries on the "Gyu Shi", the basic text
of Tibetan medicine, which are still in use as standard works in
medical education today, and as a result he is regarded as one of
the great forefathers of Tibetan medicine.
Chagpori was a monastic college where only monks could be trained
as doctors and it focused on spiritual approaches to healing.
Although it enjoyed a high reputation well beyond the borders of
Tibet it was eventually completely destroyed during the invasion
of 1959, as the Chinese viewed the school as a particular threat
because of the strong connection with Buddhism.